Tips For Shopping With Kiddos
If you have children you are totally going to relate to this. If you don’t have kids, don’t say we didn’t warn you. And if you have kids that don’t act up when you are shopping consider yourself blessed! I have definitely learned a few tricks the short 3 years I have been a mom. Going to the store without a game plan can seriously cause you to spend money where you shouldn’t and rush through while not paying attention to prices.
Here are Discount Debbie’s tips for shopping with your kids.
1. Bring snacks. Doesn’t this work for everything though? If I bring snacks, I can almost ensure that my children will be happy at least half of the time. It also helps them not want everything in sight causing you to spend money unplanned.
2. Go when your store isn’t busy. Generally this is mid morning during the week. But you know your store better than we do, so pay attention to those down times. This will also help you not to feel rushed. It also helps you not feel judged by a bunch of people if your children have meltdowns. I have had some seriously ugly encounters with people who aren’t too happy with my misbehaving kids. Less people means less drama.
3. Don’t be afraid to put off your shopping trip. Are your kids too tired or not feeling well? Don’t go to the store then. It’s not worth it. Just wait it out until they are well rested and feeling better.
4. Let your kids help. My son is 3 and he loves to help me shop. He’s really great about not just throwing things into our cart and does really well when I am giving him a purpose. Have your children “help” you shop by putting specific items into your cart and even putting it onto the belt at check out.
5. Use the kid shopping carts. If I could, I would hug the person who came up with the idea for the little cars you can push around in the store. My kids are happy at least half of the time with those carts. Couple that with the other tips I listed and you’ve got yourself a successful grocery trip!
What do you do to help with those stressful trips to the store? Am I alone here?
spread the word!