Our family loves popcorn. It’s a fun, easy and, can be, relatively healthy snack for almost any time of the day. Well, because of the holidays, one of the books I’ve been reading with my children is called Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia. We love it. What I did not expect is how much my daughter would talk about making popcorn balls, just like Amelia Bedelia! So after dinner last night, I thought I’d attempt a surprise pre-Christmas trial run of popcorn balls.
A Healthy Treat
I didn’t like the recipes I found online because they all included refined sugar. I did not want to add any refined sugar to the popcorn. So, I threw a couple of ingredients I feel fine about giving my children after dinner and, ta-da, we had popcorn balls.
Here’s what I did:
1. Pop your corn. Since this was a trial run, I only used a little bit. I probably popped about 1/4 cup of kernels and gave some of that popped corn to the children to eat so that I could work on the rest.
2. Set the popped corn aside in a bowl.
3. Then, I melted about one tablespoon of butter, a couple of tablespoons of honey and the equivalent of about 3 tablespoons of water in a saucepan over low heat.
4. I had it simmer for a few minutes (but, I’m not sure how necessary that is. I may just have everything melt next time.) It worked fine. I’m just thinking about keeping that honey as close to a raw state as possible (for health benefits).
5. Pour the honey mixture over the popcorn and mix. A few minutes later, once it has cooled off, rub a little bit of butter on your hands and form the popcorn into balls.
There you have it! Easy, quick, healthy and even Christmas-y treats for the whole family! Who knows, we may make some to hang on our tree next week, just like Amelia Bedelia! 😉
What’s your favorite holiday treat?
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.