About a month ago we talked about saving money when moving. Well, I am here now with part 2. We are moving in just a few days and our lives are upside down literally. Everything is in boxes and we are living out of suitcases. I thought this would be a good time to talk about some of the do-nots of moving. There have been a few things that we have done that I regret and have cost us more money than I would like. So now you can learn from my mistakes. I’ll even throw in a couple of things that we’ve done well 🙂
1. Don’t move on a Sunday. Maybe you are like us and that’s your only day, but if you can avoid it, do. There is only one moving truck place open in our town on Sunday. That means I couldn’t price compare and find the best deal. Don’t do that if you can.
2. Be prepared for charges from utilities. Our dish company was going to charge us for moving less than a year from the last time until I talked them out of it. We were only 4 days from a year so they waived it. We did have setup fees for the new house. We also had transfer fees from the water and electric company. They weren’t huge, but we were unprepared for them.
3. Don’t pack up all your food. I was out for the evening and my husband decided it was time to pack up all the food. So we’ve had no choice but eat out or do what we did last night and feed the kids veggies, cheese and a slice of bread. That sounds horrible doesn’t it? We’ve spent a fortune eating out!
A couple of things we did right…
1. We saved all our boxes from our last move! We knew when we moved into our small townhouse a year ago that we would only be there a year. So we stored all of our boxes. It saved us time and money!
2. We’ve been packing for weeks. We aren’t waiting until a few days before we move to pack. Almost our whole house is packed and we are still here 4 more days! It really cuts down on stress!
What are your Thrifty Moving Tips?
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.