Our family loves Mexican food. Because we don’t eat out much, that means that I make a lot of Mexican food at home. I make most things from scratch, but we usually just buy tortillas from the grocery store. Well, during Christmas vacation, I was perusing Pinterest and stumbled upon a homemade tortilla recipe. So, I tried it… and we loved it! It’s very simple and, even if using organic ingredients, so much cheaper than store bought tortillas.
Here’s how to make them.
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup coconut oil (or any other oil)
1 cup warm water
1. In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients.
2. Gradually mix in the oil and water. You may want to use a mixer to make sure it is thoroughly blended. (If you use coconut oil, be sure to melt it first.)
3. Form a ball of dough. Use more flour if it’s too sticky.
4. Split the ball in half. Then, split those two in half. Keep splitting the balls in half until you get about 16 balls.
5. Flatten them out with your hands as much as possible.
6. Cover them with a clean, dry towel for about fifteen minutes.
7. Roll them out. (Sorry I don’t have a picture for this. My husband rolled them out and I forgot to take a picture!)
8. Then, heat up a pan (on medium heat). Once it’s hot, place a tortilla in the hot pan for one minute before flipping over. Then, cook the other side for about 30 seconds. You’ll notice that we didn’t necessarily worry about our tortillas being perfectly round. As a matter of fact, it was fun to have different shapes. The children played a game in which they guessed what state each tortilla resembled. 😉
9. Enjoy them the way you would any other tortillas. The only difference is that they taste better and save you a lot more money than the others do. 😉
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.