Things You SHOULD Spend Money On
Here at Thrifty Divas, we tell of you a lot of things not to spend money. However, there are things we think you should spend money on. Of course, these are just one Thrifty Divas’ opinion, but these are things that have been true for my family and I.
1. A good mattress. I used to think you couldn’t buy sleep, but you can. When I got married, my husband and I decided to buy a brand new mattress from a real mattress store. We spent a ridiculous amount of money without much research and a year later we were both miserable. The name brand company refused to honor their warranty and we are out of luck. I’ve scared you haven’t I? However, after this we did our research by reading reviews and talking to friends and decided to take the plunge one more time and buy a Temperpedic. Best. Money. I’ve. Ever. Spent. We get nothing from the company to say this either, but it’s so worth the cost. Mattresses are one of those things you don’t buy often, so when you do spend the money, get a good one so you spend less in the long run.
2. A good slow cooker. This may sound silly, but I am so glad I spent the money several years ago on an amazing slow cooker and didn’t opt out for the cheap one. I am a firm believer that the more convenient you make cooking, the more you will cook and the more you’ll save by eating at home. Having a crockpot with more settings, easier cleaning options and lid latches makes my life easier!
3. Debt. Yes, spend money on debt! Pay it off! The wisest thing you can do is spend whatever you can out of your paycheck paying off debt.
4. Organic produce. Again, this is just a personal preference, but I do think there is a difference between organic vs. non-organic. Although a study recently published says there is not nutritional difference, there is a difference in the amount of pesticides used and what you are exposed to.
5. Things you really want. No, I didn’t just tell you to buy anything you want. I do the 3 day test. If there is a more expensive item that I REALLY want, I go to the store, wait three days and then after that if I am still thinking about it, I buy it. Once there was a purse that I really wanted, but I passed because of the price. I thought about it for weeks and finally decided to go back to the store and it was gone. Obviously three years later and I am still thinking about it and regretting it. Being a Thrifty Diva doesn’t mean going without your favorite things.
What are some other items you should spend money on?
spread the word!