Yesterday we posted about cooking from your pantry. One of the things that I ALWAYS have in my pantry and have learned a lot of uses for is dried milk. It seems like every recipe I was using only called for like 1/2 cup at most and I was stuck with a whole box. And let me tell you, I wasn’t about to make milk out of it. It doesn’t really taste great that way. So if you are like me and have a huge box of dried milk in your pantry, here are some oh so awesome uses for it.
1. Evaporated milk. I was so glad when I found this out! I never have evaporated milk in the house and it’s so aggravating when a recipe calls for it and you have to run to the store for a little can. To make a 5oz can worth of evaporated milk, mix 1/3 cup dry milk with 1/2 cup water.
2. Sweetened condensed milk. Now I can make my favorite cake and not have to worry about having this on hand. To replace a can of SCM mix 1/3 cup dry milk with 1/2 cup cold water. Microwave until hot and steamy and after add 1/2 cup sugar. Put it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Viola, sweetened condensed milk!
3. Hot chocolate. It’s definitely not the season in most places for hot chocolate, but I drink it year round. Don’t waste money on the store brand when you can spend half and make it in bulk. Just combine equal parts of powdered milk, cocoa powder, and sugar, and you have instant hot chocolate on hand. All you need is some hot water and you are golden!
4. Sweeten your corn! Yep, throw about 1/4th of cup of powdered milk in with your boiling water when you make corn and you’ll sweeten it just a bit.
5. Use it in your bath. These tips just keep getting crazier huh? You’ve heard of a milk bath right? You can easily make one by just adding some powdered milk to your steamy bath. Relax and enjoy all the lovely benefits!
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.