Frugal Easter Basket Ideas
How to save on the basket:
Many people will save baskets from year to year. This is a great idea. Saves money, time, and creates a tradition! If this is your first year buying a basket, check the Dollar Stores. If you’re looking for a nice, sturdy, specialty basket, however, you may want to wait until the POST EASTER CLEARANCE. Buy the $1 basket for THIS YEAR, and after Easter buy that extra special, durable basket that will last year after year.
Another great idea is to use something that is reusable and the kids will put to use. A sand bucket, makeup carrier, or flower pot are just a few ideas.
Candy and other treats:
- Dollar stores are great for small bags of candy and even chocolate bunnies.
- Use clearance candy that you stocked up on during the post-Valentines Day Sales (check exp dates)
- Shop EARLY and USE COUPONS
- Bake cookies shaped like eggs. Wrap in colorful plastic wrap and add to basket.
- Jelly beans can be found for as little as 99 cents per bag. Fill reusable plastic eggs with jelly beans. *make sure to SAVE the eggs for next year. Recycle, reuse!
Save on non-candy items:
- Fun and inexpensive toys and books can be found at Target’s $1 spot and local dollar stores. Stop by from time to time throughout the year to stock up, especially during clearance sales. Target will mark the $1 items down to as little as 10 cents throughout the year.
- Thrift stores are great for books and DVD’s and the prices can’t be beat.
- Buy crayons for as little as .50 at Wal-Mart and Target.
- Did you know Michaels Craft Store has a $1 section? Check it out!
- Print coloring sheets from free sites to add to the basket.
- More inexpensive toy ideas: bubbles, coloring books, stickers, cars, and stamps.
Easter is a wonderful holiday. It represents rebirth and new beginnings. It’s a way to express the old adage “out with the old and in with the new.” It could be the new season, a new way of life, or the new life that comes with spring. Best of all, celebrating it doesn’t have to be fancy.
Instead of getting your children a basket of sugar each, get them an Easter keepsake instead. This could be a religious keepsake or a stuffed bunny. It could be a gift of spring, like a potted plant or a wind chime for their bedroom or to enjoy outside. A small token will last longer and bring good family memories to mind when it is seen. Plus it isn’t likely to rot those cute little baby teeth.
Easter eggs are a fun and easy way to celebrate Easter. A carton of boiled eggs, tap water, and some food coloring is all you really need. You can decorate them, hide them, hunt them, and eat them. It’s a tradition that the more experienced generation will recognize and be able to share the fun in. Plus it’s really not that expensive.
Meat Free Easter Dinner
In fact, don’t just go meat free. Go on a raw diet for the day. Celebrate spring and have salads and fresh fruit and vegetables. Have some mixed nuts and some fruit juices. This will save you money in so many ways. You will save money in meat. You will save the few dollars on your gas or electric bill from not using the stove. Plus you won’t have that heavy sleepy feeling come Easter evening.
A Little Chocolate
It is Easter and chocolate is a part of our Easter tradition. It just isn’t a whole basket full of chocolate. Instead it’s a little chocolate as a snack or for desert. This makes the chocolate a small treat rather than a sweets binge that ends with a sugar coma.
How do you keep the cost low for celebrating Easter?
There are some hot deals around town this weekend! If you haven’t yet gotten out for your Easter clearance items, be sure to stop by Target for Easter merchandise marked down 50-70%! Don’t forget your coupons when you’re buying clearance items, though. Check out the list below for some of those hot deals. There are also a couple of other non-Easter-related deals that are still worth checking out. So, enjoy!
Easy Care Table Cloth (reg $4.99) $1.49, clearance price
Final Price: $1.49
Easter Bibs (reg $3.99) $1.19, clearance price
Final Price: $1.19
Easter Onesie (reg $9.99) $2.99, clearance price
Final Price: $2.99
Chapstick Lip Balm, 3 pk (reg $3.99) $1.19, clearance price
Final Price: $1.19
Annie’s Bunny Grahams, 1 oz (reg $1.00) $0.50, clearance price
Final Price: $0.50
Snickers Peanut Butter Eggs, 2.83 oz (reg $1.00) $0.50, clearance price
Final Price: $0.50
M&M’s Easter Bags, 9.9oz (reg $3.19) $1.59, clearance price
Use $2.00/3 – Mars Bites Bags: Snickers, Twix, M&M’s, 3 Musketeers, Dove or Milky Way, 7 to 11.5 oz, 77477 (coupons.com)
And use $1.50/3 – M&M’s Candies, 8 oz or larger, Target Coupon (target.com)
Final Price: $0.42 each, when you buy 3
Starburst Easter Jelly Beans, 13 oz (reg $2.19) $1.09, clearance price
Use $1.00/2 – Starburst or Skittles, 4 oz or larger, Target Coupon (target.com)
Or $1.00/2 – Starburst or Skittles, 4 oz or larger, Target Mobile Coupon, Text OFFERS to 827438
Final Price: $0.59 each, when you buy 2
We wish you a very happy Easter weekend!
Easter is almost here! Those cute little egg dying kits are out now too and at around $5 a package, it can get expensive if you need to dye a lot of eggs. But we have a Thrifty Diva alternative and it really works! All you need is Kool-Aid packets. You can use the off-brand too and save even more money. At 10 cents a piece usually, you really have the potential to dye eggs for very cheap using this method.
What You Need
Bowls or cups filled with just enough water to cover an egg
Assorted colors of Kool-Aid Mix
What To Do
1. Fill your cups/bowels with water. Just enough to cover your eggs.
2. Put in one mix per cup. I did cherry, grape, orange, lemonade, lemon lime and pink lemonade. Mix in your water well.
3. Slowly place the eggs in the cups and let sit for up to 3 minutes depending on the intensity you want.
4. Take out and dry. An egg carton is great for letting your eggs dry.
5. Hide them!
WIll you be skipping high priced egg dying kits this year?
This is always a popular coupon. It’s good on ANY brand of eggs and perfect for stocking up on eggs in time for Easter. 🙂 Print now before they run out of prints.
Facebook Printable Coupon: Save $.55 off Two Dozen Eggs
Pick and choose your favorite candy with all the post Easter clearance candy around. I confess I love jelly beans. Wonka Jelly Beans are on clearance at Walmart. Check out this amazing deal!
Wonka Jelly Beans $1.14, On Clearance
Use $1.25/2 – Wonka Candy, 12 oz or larger – (couponnetwork.com)
Final Price: $0.52 each when you buy 2