We’ve talked a lot about cooking from your pantry and using what you have. Well there is also the issue of having foods on hand that are inexpensive, but are very versatile. Having these items in your home will help you save money by eating at home and cooking from your pantry. These are items you will always find at my house.
1. Rice and potatoes. We love our starches and as long as these are in our home we can make a meal. Rice and potatoes are always cheap and there are a million things you can make with it.
2. Flour, sugar and salt. Have this holy trinity in your house and you’ll have fought half the cooking battle. Buy flour and sugar in bulk and save even more! So much of our food is flour based, so we can start making things homemade and save even more.
3. Chocolate chips. This may not seem like a necessity, but I am always needed to bake some kind of cookie or treat for something. Plus it’s easy for me to make cookies if my kids want them. This way, I don’t go to the store and spend needless money. I always have these in the house.
4. Butter. We buy it in bulk from Costco and use it for weeks. It’s much cheaper to buy in bulk from Costco or Sams and it’s nice that we always have it because I always cook with it.
5. Beans. Again this is a seriously inexpensive food with so many uses. Have it in your house and on that night you forgot to meal plan, find something to use those beans with. Beans are highly nutritious, cheap and are easy to make!
6. Tomato Sauce. When I get stuck, I can always throw something together with tomato sauce and it’s so cheap. Buy 10 cans and you’ll be set for a while.
What are some foods you always keep around that are inexpensive and help you to cook from your pantry?
Spread The Word!