I do tons of baking for my family. As such, I use LOTS of vanilla extract. As a matter of fact, I like vanilla extract so much that I use just a little bit in my coffee every morning 🙂
I recently read about making your own vanilla extract and decided that it might be worth it to take the plunge! It was so much easier than I expected it to be.
Here’s what I used:
6 vanilla beans (I used Frontier Organic beans)
1 bottle of at least 80 proof alcohol (Vodka and Bourbon are most popular. But, any will do.)
3 glass jars (about 1 1/2 each)
1. Cut each bean into pieces of approximately 2 inches in length.
2. Scrape out the “caviar” from the inside to include in the jar or bottle.
3. Place in your bottle or jar. I used two beans per jar…which meant about 6 small pieces, plus “caviar” in each jar.
4. If you have dark jars, those would be ideal. I didn’t. So, I used what I had.
5. Pour the alcohol into each jar, seal and shake vigorously.
6. Keep in a dry, dark place where they won’t be exposed to light. I put mine in our pantry behind a bunch of other things.
7. Shake once a day for the first week; then, shake once a week for about a month; then periodically whenever you remember to do it.
The extract is ideal at 6 months but can be used as early as 3 weeks from the time you put it together. I can hardly wait to taste it! I’m excited about my three jars but am thinking about making more to use as Christmas gifts!
It’s fun, easy and healthy.*
Have you made vanilla extract before?
* It’s healthy because you put no additives or preservatives in. It’s PURE extract.
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.