Lately, it seems like going out to the movies will run you about 30-40 dollars, and that’s just for two people to go! Take the whole family, and you’re out a whole lot more than that. Movie tickets are expensive and concessions are outrageously priced. But based on how full the theaters usually are, you know that people are still scrounging up the money for their Friday date night. Because I have a movie-addict husband, I have learned a few tips and tricks on how to save money when we head to the theater each week. (That’s right, each week!)
- See if your local theater has a discount day. The Megaplex theaters in Utah all offer $5 tickets to all of their movies, all day, every Tuesday! (But only if the movie has been out for at least a week. If it just came out the Friday before, it’s likely that you’d still have to pay full price.) We call Tuesdays our “Tuesday-night-movie-night-date-night”. Each Tuesday, if there is a decent movie out, we head on over to a theater and make a date of it! It satisfies my husbands’ immense love for watching movies, and it keeps me and our budget happy as well.
- Sneak in a few treats. (Shhhh, you didn’t hear it from me!) Even just bringing in two boxes of candy from the grocery store can save you a lot of money based on how expensive concessions are.
- Buy a refillable mug. Though they may cost a bit to begin with, they are going to pay for themselves (and then save you money) in no time. With each refill only being a dollar, you’ll save yourself a lot of cash after only a few uses.
- Buy a refillable popcorn bucket. I didn’t even know that these existed until about a month ago! If you’re a big popcorn fan and don’t love the idea of emptying your wallet each time you want to get a bucket, then grabbing one of those is definitely a good idea.
- Save your disposable popcorn bucket. If you don’t want to buy a refillable bucket, you can make the most out of the disposable one that they give you when you order a large popcorn. Most theaters will give you one free refill! So make sure you hold onto it and take it into the theater next time you go to the movies. (They will punch a hole or somehow mark the container though, so you can only get that one refill.)
- Get a rewards card. After years of hearing “Do you have a rewards card you’d like to use?” And always responding with a “No,” we finally decided to sign up for one. Best decision ever. The Megaplex theater’s rewards card is fantastic. You just swipe it each time you make a purchase (or enter in the card number if you’re buying tickets online) and you rack up points. After only a few purchases, you’ll have coupons print out just about every time you get your tickets printed! We’ve gotten free concessions, free movies, and considerable discounts, at no extra cost to us!
Hopefully at least a few of those ideas can work for you and help you to save a little bit of cash when headed out to the movie theaters. If you have any other ideas for saving money on going to the movies, mention them in the comments below!
Spread The Word!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.