I am really excited to share with you readers about the mini-vacation that we just planned to go on. We had an unexpected need to go to a town 4 hours away and decided since we had to go anyway that we ought to make a vacation out of it since every weekend after that is booked through September. Since it was last minute we didn’t get a whole lot of time to plan and save so we needed to do it on a dime and we did!
Our biggest expense was going to be gas, hotel and tickets to the theme park we will be going to. And I am happy to say I saved on almost all of them! Here are some ideas that you can easily incorporate into your family vacation.
1. Cash out any credit card points. We use a bank that accumulates debit card points and we had gotten enough for $50 cash back! That pays for all of our gas there! Even though we earned those points, I kind of feel like our gas is free.
2. Save your pennies. We have one of those lose change electronic banks in our laundry room. We’ve had it for about 2 years and we just always throw in our money we find laying around or any that comes from the dryer. When we cashed it out we had $80! That almost pays for a whole night at the hotel.
3. Look for discounts. The theme park we are going to does discounts when you buy tickets online.
4. Call your insurance agent! Yes, you heard me right, your insurance agent. Some of the larger companies does deals with hotels, theme parks, movie theaters etc. to get you a discount. We got $12 off our theme part tickets and 20% off our hotel stay just for being customers.
5. Buy snacks ahead of time. We’ve been doing this for years, but it’s actually much cheaper to go to Wal-Mart, Target etc. and buy snacks ahead of time and just load the car up. You tend to spend more when you get snacks from a convenient store. I went to Target today and spent $8 on snacks that will last the whole trip!
Estimated Trip Cost Before Discounts
Gas: $40 roundtrip (we have an awesome gas saver!)
Total with discounts and other misc cash: $320!
How awesome did we do!?
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.