Sometimes the Milkbone just doesn’t cut it and you need an extra special treat for your pup. In that case, why not bake up your own batch of dog treats? They don’t have to be cheddar or chicken flavor if you don’t want your house to smell a little weird for a while; if you want your house to smell like cookies opt for a peanut butter variation!
I have used this recipe multiple times with my own dogs and they love these treats. They’re crunchy and look just like little cookies, especially if you use a cookie cutter to cut them into fun shapes. I just placed an order for these cookie cutters since they’re so stinkin’ adorable. What dog wouldn’t want to eat a doggie cookie shaped like a fire hydrant or paw print?
Okay, on to the recipe! You’re going to love how simple it is, and that there are only a couple ingredients, all things you can pronounce, too. Which is not common with most dog treats nowadays.
- 2 1/2 cups flour (wheat is best, but if your dog is allergic to wheat flour try coconut flour instead!)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup dog-safe peanut butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix flour, baking powder, and egg in a large bowl. Add the peanut butter, honey and water and stir. The dough will become very stiff and sticky, you may need to knead it a bit with your hands.
- Roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to cut them into fun shapes, or just scoop a tablespoon sized amount onto a greased and floured cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Have you ever made homemade dog treats before? Let me know how your fur babies like these treats in the comments!
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.