Do you have snow? We do! I don’t think it left from last winter. It comes early here and lingers around until April. We are always trying to find creative things to do with it because it’s here so much. Here are some things you can do in the snow that are either free or will cost you VERY little.
1. Sled. This has to be a given, but what family doesn’t love good ole’ fashioned sledding down a hill? It can take up a whole afternoon of fun, free entertainment for your family.
2. Make snow ice cream. If you haven’t done this, please do. Your children will love you for it. It’s easy, it has 3 ingredients and it will easily be your family’s favorite thing about snow! Here is the recipe we use.
3. Do a polar plunge. Have you ever seen a beautiful lake in the middle of winter and wanted to jump in it? Yeah me neither. However, many colder climate cities have this EVERY year. They get a group of (crazy) people and just jump in the lake for seconds. For many northerners, this is a right of passage to being a true northerner. I guess I’ll always be a poser, because I’ll never do it. But it sure is fun to watch! Google Polar Plunge and the name of your town and see if there is a local one. If anything, go watch 🙂
4. Go winter camping. My husband swears this is the greatest kind of camping, but I’ll just have to take his word for it. Most parks around us, are closed so there is no entrance fee during the winter so that helps with cost. And if you already have camping equipment, you are set. Just make sure you are prepared for the lower temperatures and maybe leave the kiddos at home for this one.
5. Host a bonfire. Go someplace where you can build a big fire to stay warm and invite friends to bring warm drinks and roast marshmallows! You can enjoy the beautiful snow, but not freeze! Everyone loves a good bonfire!
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.