A really good Thrifty Diva idea is to subsitute some more expensive food items for cheaper ones. But maybe you don’t know where to start. Here are some examples of things I substitute.
1. Chicken instead of Beef. Chicken is almost always cheaper per pound than beef. And honestly most recipes are quite versatile.
2. Beens instead of Meat. Meat is more expensive than most anything else in your recipe. So using beans is a great way to still get your protein without the expense. Black beans are an especially great substitute for ground beef. It’s yummy too!
3. Canned Tomatoes instead of Fresh. Remember my “Best Salsa EVER” recipe? It’s canned tomatoes making it crazy cheap. I think canned tomatoes are still really tasty and can really save you money.
4. Cottage Cheese instead of Ricotta. Ricotta is ridiculously expensive and cottage cheese is crazy cheap. I honestly think they taste the same in recipes making it a great substitute.
5. Homemade Bread instead of Store Bought. We talk a lot on here about making your own homemade items and bread is an awesome option. It’s cheap, easy and I think it tastes better. We even highlighted our favorite recipe HERE.
What do you substitute?
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.