My husband and I just made a big purchase. We were in dire need of a large family table. One with a lot of chairs and leafs in the middle and just BIG. We looked everywhere! Tables are expensive so we wanted to do our research before buying one. Most big purchases are generally things you’ll have around for a while. So here are some things to think about when buying big.
1. What’s the quality of the item? There is usually ALWAYS a cheaper alternative, but is it worth it if it’s cheaper and more poorly made? You can spend less now, but if it breaks sooner, you’ll be left with repair bills or a whole new item.
2. What’s the resell value? This is something often overlooked. You may be getting a great deal on a particle board TV stand, but when you are ready to move on in a year or so, you’re probably going to wish you bought the real wood version instead that is much more easily re-sold.
3. Do you NEED the item? When you are trying to save money, it’s important to only buy what you need and not just what you want. This was huge when were deciding on a table. We had a nice four person table, but with two kids and visitors often, it wasn’t working for us at all.
4. Can you find it used? You may need to wait a while to find something high quality and in great use condition, but we did with our table. I waited a year for the perfect table and we got it for a 1/4th of what the owners paid for it. And it is so so so so pretty!
5. Will it go on sale soon? For example, if you are really wanting patio furniture, it’s not worth the cost to buy it in May. Wait until October when it’s all on clearance. Sure, you won’t be able to use it until next Spring, but that’s ok. It was cheap!
What big purchases are you looking at?
Spread The Word!
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.